Some recent discussion regarding Adirondack Tourism Marketing hits on a topic near my heart. I don’t think anyone would argue about tourism’s importance as a crucial part of our economy. But how to effectively market our destination seems to have generated a variety of comments. Some useful, others very uninformed. I once had the joy of thinking about this very topic, and wrote-up a plan for consideration. So rather than join the fray with my own comments, I thought I’d share my ideas. Not official, implemented, or endorsed by anyone other than me.
Purpose of the Plan
Provide a road map which will guide actions, activities, and programs.
Identify key strategic priorities for the next 5 years.
The counties as defined by the I Love NY program and/or the Bylaws.
Mission Statement and Vision
To increase tourism visitation to the Adirondack Region.
To be recognized as a unique, multi-season destination.
- Consistently and effectively promote the Visit Adirondacks brand
- Increase visitation and spending in the Adirondack Region
- Expand tourism season to maximize economic benefit
- Generate high quality inquiries for all members
- Recognizing our strengths, aim to disperse visitation throughout the Adirondack Region
- Provide low cost advertising opportunities and promotional tools for tourism constituents throughout the region
Brand Marketing – Job #1
Develop and Promote the Visit Adirondacks brand through:
- advertising, collateral, trade marketing, internet, public relations, strategic partnerships
- Media relations and visits
- Traditional PR – writer assistance and story pitching
- Press release creation and distribution
- Branded Information Centers
- Comprehensive Information Services – Internet, Print, Fulfillment
- Community Management – Inquiry Response, Q/A, Brand Marketing
Education and Advocacy
- Education programs for tourism businesses
- Liaison with Organizations and Stakeholders
- Position Statements on Tourism related issues
Research and Analysis
- Develop Metrics for Internal Measurement
- Gather and Report Tourism related Economic Indicators
- Aggregate and Analyze Available Tourism Research
- Conduct Original Research
Strengths – Our USP
- Adirondack Park | Forest Preserve | Wilderness | Scenic Beauty
- Proximity to Feeder Markets
- Safety and Security
- Authentic Americana
Challenges and Threats
- General Economic Conditions | CCI Decline
- Cost of Doing Business | Taxes | Energy | Labor | Regulation
- Tourism Infrastructure | Cell Coverage | Broadband
- Traditional Transportation Barriers | Costs
- Seasonality | Weather
- Environmental | Conservation Issues | Invasive Species
- Budget | Funding | NYS | ARTC
- Availability of the Internet to enhance and extend the region’s market reach
- Canadian Exchange / Demand
- Demographic Changes | Boomers | Gen – X/Y
- Boomer/Mature, Shoulder-season Travelers, Outdoor Recreation Enthusiasts, Scenic Touring, Family
- NYC Metro, Canada, NYS Feeders, All Others
Spring – hike, raft, bird, fish, bike, events
Fall – foliage, hunt, paddle, hike, bike, shopping, events
Winter – snowmobile, ski (dh & xc), snowshoe, spa, shopping, events
Year-round – Events, Group Tour, SMERF
||“Extend the Season”
Continue to Develop and Implement the Visit Adirondacks brand.