Hurt, Lost, Crash, Thirsty, Stung, and Capsized
Ah…. Summer in the Adirondacks.
- Accidents can happen. Always carry a first aid kit and contact the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-891-0235 in backcountry emergencies.
- Know your abilities and the area you plan to hike. Always carry a map and compass, and know how to use them.
- Forest Rangers have police officer status and are first responders.
- Drink plenty of water and rest often when hiking, particular during hot weather.
- Always inform someone of your itinerary.
- Stay together when hiking in groups and know the location of all group members at all times.
- Have the skills, knowledge and equipment to spend an unexpected night in the woods.
Tags: dec·high peaks·hike