The NYS Department of Health and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have confirmed the presence of Hanta Virus antibodies in a man from Suffolk County, NY. It is possible that the man contracted Hanta Virus from mice in Uphill lean-to in the Eastern High Peaks.
Although hanta virus is extremely rare, and has never been recorded in the Adirondacks, DEC will be checking lean-tos in the area and removing food and other garbage from in, under and around the lean-tos.
Campers and hikers can help to avoid attracting nuisance wildlife, including mice, squirrels, martens and bears, by following these housekeeping practices:
- Cook away from your campsite
- Plan portions to avoid leftovers
- Keep food in storage containers except when cooking or eating
- Be neat and clean while cooking and eating
- Clean up your hands, clothing and dishware immediately after eating
- Never leave food unattended
- Use bear resistant food canisters year-round to store food, garbage and toiletries.
- Carry out all garbage
See the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Hanta Virus web page for more information: http://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/