Entries Tagged as 'heritage'
November 20th, 2014 · 2 Comments · Miscellania
April 17th, 2014 · No Comments · Miscellania
November 1st, 2013 · No Comments · Adirondack Life
These paper drinking cups, manufactured by Stone & Forsyth Co., are at least 100 years old. By 1914, they were replaced by the “Baldwin Finback” which were more “Convenient, Hygienic — Safe”.
I guess with all the sick heading to the mountains to “take the cure”, it really was best to avoid spreading germs. Read more about Water Drinking in Public Places.
October 16th, 2013 · No Comments · Adirondack News
DEC accepts comments on Draft Unit Management Plans until November 15
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) released the draft unit management plans (UMPs) for the Hurricane Mountain Fire Tower Historic Area and the Saint Regis Mountain Fire Tower Historic Area, Commissioner Joe Martens announced today. The UMPs contain management proposals for the fire observation towers located on the summit of Hurricane Mountain in the Town of Keene, Essex County, and the summit of Saint Regis Mountain in the Town of Santa Clara, Franklin County. If approved and implemented, the UMPs would result in increased tourism opportunities in Essex and Franklin counties.
“As Governor Cuomo continues his commitment to spur tourism, the release of these draft unit management plans is another step in ensuring these historically significant resources will be enjoyed for many generations to come,” Commissioner Martens said. “Throughout the 20th century, fire towers played a critical role in the protection of New York State’s natural resources, and resuming maintenance of these structures for educational purposes will attract travelers and provide the public a better appreciation of that legacy.”
The Hurricane Mountain fire tower was discontinued for use as a fire observation station in 1979, and the Saint Regis Mountain fire tower was shut down in 1990. Both structures have been closed to the public ever since. The UMPs propose to restore the two fire towers to a condition that will accommodate full public access of the structures and include interpretive materials related to the towers’ history.
UMPs for each unit of State land in the Adirondack Park are required by the Adirondack Park State Land Master Plan, which was amended in 2010 to create the two new Historic Areas. Previously, the summit of Hurricane Mountain was part of the Hurricane Mountain Primitive (now Wilderness) Area, and the summit of Saint Regis Mountain was part of the Saint Regis Canoe Area.
The plans are available for public review at DEC headquarters in Albany (625 Broadway) and DEC Region 5 headquarters in Ray Brook (1115 State Route 86). CDs of the plan will be available at these same locations, as well as the offices for the Town of Santa Clara in Franklin County and the Town of Keene in Essex County. The Hurricane UMP may be viewed or downloaded at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/78001.html and the Saint Regis UMP may be viewed or downloaded at: http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/78006.html.
DEC will accept comments on the draft UMPs today through November 15. Comments may be sent to Josh Clague, Natural Resources Planner, DEC, 625 Broadway – 5th Floor, Albany, NY 12233-4254 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 8th, 2013 · No Comments · Adirondack News
Ticonderoga, NY – Through the keen eye of a museum supporter and generosity of an important donor, a rare British musket that may have seen use at Fort Ticonderoga has recently joined the museum’s collection enabling Fort Ticonderoga to more completely interpret the site’s remarkable history.
Fort Ticonderoga’s Curator of Collections, Christopher Fox said “The donation of this Wilson musket fills an important and long-standing gap in the collection. It is a type we know was used by troops who served at the Fort. It is also an important reminder of the struggles armies sometimes faced in arming their troops in wartime and the great diversity of arms that found their way into military service as a result.”
The Wilson musket will be placed on exhibit this season in the museum’s highly acclaimed exhibit Bullets & Blades: The Weapons of America’s Colonial Wars and Revolution. The exhibit, featuring over 150 weapons, tells the story of the use of military and civilian weapons in America during the 17th and 18th centuries. Fort Ticonderoga’s collection of 18th-century military objects is celebrated as one of the best of its type in the world.
During the French & Indian War, the London gun maker Richard Wilson produced muskets to arm the militias of several American colonies including New York, New Jersey, probably Massachusetts. Though they bear similarities to muskets produced for the British army, the weapons produced by Richard Wilson are not “army” muskets, they are “commercial” or “contract” muskets.” Their brass parts, stocks, and barrels resemble British army guns, but are simpler and lighter overall. Of the estimated 4,000 contract weapons that may have been produced by Wilson, only a handful has survived through today.
The potential connection with Fort Ticonderoga’s history stretches back to the British army’s planned invasion of Canada and the disastrous attack on the French lines on July 8, 1758. As British General James Abercromby was preparing his 17,000-man army, he had considerable difficulty obtaining enough weapons to arm his troops. Among the weapons he was eventually able to acquire were 1,000 muskets owned by the City of New York. These weapons had originally been purchased by the city from Richard Wilson in 1755. While it is not known with absolute certainty, it is thought that at least some of those weapons were issued to New York Provincial troops. Many of those troops took part in the battle before the French lines on July 8. It is known, however, that many of Wilson’s muskets were used at Ticonderoga as numerous brass pieces of these guns have been recovered on the site during various periods of reconstruction.
March 21st, 2013 · No Comments · Adirondack Life
To the People of Northern New York and Vermont:
It has come to our knowledge that many hotels and saloons are selling a very inferior quality of Beer or cheap Ale and trying to palm the same off as Merkel’s Boss Lager. We would therefore charge the public to take notice that we are the sole agents for BOSS LAGER, the only good Lager to be had in this section, and we sell no other — not like others selling four or five different kinds in one season under the same name — that every bottle is marked in the glass “Merkel’s Boss Lager,” and no other is genuine. Look at the bottle before it is opened and take no other. Respectfully,
MERKEL & KAHNER,
Plattsburgh, N. Y., 1878
I hope you won’t be fooled, and only drink the original.
January 15th, 2013 · No Comments · Adirondack News
Events Will Provide a Rare Opportunity to See the Inside of Camp Buildings During the Winter Months
The events will take place during the Martin Luther King holiday weekend, January 19-21; President’s Day holiday weekend, February 16-18; and the weekend of March 16-17. Cross-country skiers and snowshoers will have access to the historic camp properties located in the town of Newcomb in Essex County to rest and view interpretative displays.
“Camp Santanoni provides an amazing 9.8-mile round trip cross-country ski excursion in the Adirondacks,” Commissioner Martens said. “The trail traverses from the Gate House complex to the remote lakeside main lodge complex, providing a moderate ski and a great opportunity to enjoy the outdoors. Events like these are part of Governor Cuomo and DEC’s efforts to work with local communities to increase tourism and economic activity by showcasing the recreational opportunities and historic treasures the Adirondacks has to offer.”
During the three Winter Weekend events cross-country skiers and snowshoers will be able to visit both the Gate Lodge and Main Lodge of Camp Santanoni, view displays about the great camp and take interpretive tours with Adirondack Architectural Heritage (AARCH) staff. The Artist’s Studio, a stone building near the main lodge on the shores of Newcomb Lake, will be open as a warming hut. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate will be available and the public is asked to bring their own cups. Also, the Adirondack Interpretive Center will provide snowshoes to lend to visitors at the Gate Lodge.
The three Winter Weekend events are being hosted by DEC, AARCH, the town of Newcomb and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry’s (ESF) Adirondack Interpretive Center.
“We are happy to work with our partners, DEC, AARCH and SUNY ESF to build on the history and natural beauty of our town to provide tourism destinations that people want to visit,” said Newcomb Town Supervisor George Canon. “Great Camp Santanoni is at least as beautiful covered in winter snows as it is in mid-summer.”
“ESF is excited to partner with DEC, town of Newcomb and AARCH to help expand how Great Camp Santanoni is used,” said Paul Hai of SUNY ESF’s Northern Forest Institute, which manages the Adirondack Interpretive Center. “Newcomb is a fantastic town, rich with history, recreation and educational opportunities. Collaborations like this grow our town while increasing visitors’ and residents’ appreciation and understanding of the Adirondacks. We are looking forward to working together on more programs and creative ideas in Newcomb.”
“We are delighted to be part of these winter open house weekends again and look forward to welcoming skiers and snowshoers there at a very beautiful and peaceful time of year,” said Steven Engelhart, Executive Director of AARCH. “Last year, over eight days, we had more than 400 people make the ten mile round-trip outing into Santanoni and we thoroughly enjoyed providing a place to warm up and interpreting the camp’s rich history and architecture to them.”
In addition to the popular 9.8-mile round trip from the Gate Lodge to the Main Lodge, cross-country skiers and snowshoers are encouraged to take the half mile-trail that connects Camp Santanoni to the nearby Adirondack Interpretive Center’s 3.6-mile trail system. The Center’s buildings will be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on all three days of the Winter Weekends in January and February and on the Saturday and Sunday of the March Winter Weekend.
While people may visit Camp Santanoni 365 days a year, the buildings are not typically open to the public during the winter months. Additional open house weekends may be considered based on the popularity and success of these three weekend events.
Construction of Camp Santanoni began in 1892 by Robert and Anna Pruyn and eventually consisted of more than four dozen buildings on 12,900 acres including a working farm, the Gate Lodge complex, and a huge rustic Main Lodge and other buildings situated on Newcomb Lake. Camp Santanoni was in private ownership until 1972. Over the last several decades of state ownership, the camp has gradually been restored through a partnership between DEC, AARCH and the town of Newcomb. Santanoni is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark. Camp Santanoni is considered by many to be the classic Adirondack Great Camp.
Reservations are not required but for more information, contact AARCH at (518) 834-9328. More information about Camp Santanoni, the Adirondack Interpretive Center and the Newcomb area may be found at: