We had a mild-Winter and Spring appeared almost instantly this year. This resulted in a plethora of hiking related Search and Rescues by DEC.
- Accidents can happen. Always carry a first aid kit and contact the DEC Forest Rangers at 518-891-0235 in backcountry emergencies.
- Drink plenty of water, eat food to keep up you energy and rest often.
- Always carry a map and compass, and know how to use them. Carry a flashlight or headlamp at all times.
- When hiking in groups, even pairs, stay together – know the location of all group members at all times. Don’t hike alone.
- Monitor your health and carry any required medication with you when hiking.
- Be prepared to spend an unexpected night in the woods and pack plenty of food and water, extra clothing, flashlight/headlamp, ensolite pads, stove and extra fuel, and bivy sack or space blanket.
- Always inform someone of your itinerary.
- Know your route, the terrain and your physical capabilities.